I need to build a rackmounted computer that is super fast. It’s going to be installed in a mobile rack for recording audio to ProTools on the go. I think what I’ll do is document the process here so that I can refer back.
Here are my first thoughts:
- Not sure about a chassis. Never bought a rackmount chassis. Are there particular things that I should take into account when researching them? I suppose it has to be light but durable. It will be in a mobile rack.
- SSDs? A nice fast SSD for the system drive might be a good way to have darn fast response from ProTools.
- RAID? What does ProTools think of RAID? RAID 10 probably right? Striped for speed and mirrored for protection.
- No point in running 64-bit. ProTools doesn’t work unless you’re running 32-bit OS.
- Memory- Not 64-bit so no point in installing more than 3GB
- Video- A nice video card should probably be installed in case I decide to do post production work… SLI???
- Processor? No idea yet. Probably Core i7